The Syracuse University Student Association is calling on the university to conduct an audit of all Greek life in the wake of the suspension of the Theta Tau fraternity on Wednesday.
Theta Tau, a professional engineering fraternity, was suspended after SU confirmed the organization was involved in creating videos showing fraternity members using language that was “extremely racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist, and hostile to people with disabilities,” Chancellor Kent Syverud said in a campus-wide email.
SA President James Franco and Vice President Angie Pati requested an extensive audit of all fraternities and sororities on campus, including social, professional and multicultural organizations.
From moderator Hank Nuwer
- Your fraternity encourages or coerces pledges into drinking. A bottle exchange is not a gift. It’s a weapon that has killed over and over.
- Your chapter has members who physically haze in lineups or administer “wood” with impunity.
- Your high school team has players who think it their right to touch and taunt rookies.
- Your sorority shares or trades pledges with a fraternity.
- Your chapter thinks it is a hoot to drop pledges far from home with no identification.
- Your chapter makes pledges go on some kind of forced march.
- Your chapter makes pledges eat unpleasant substances that can make someone gag and choke.
8) You make pledges swim or wade in deep waters.