Categories
Hazing News

Most Coaches Return to St. Paul After Hazing Incident

From MaxPreps News

The incident took place on Aug. 14 in the locker room. According to a letter from principal Kate Aceves, Marijon and Visko Ancich, Avina, Lou Cabral, Oliver Cepeida, Rich Estrella and Anthony Wilson were “not found culpable of any knowledge of the incident.”

One coach was not reinstated, and the Daily News reported that it was believed to be Juan Gonzalez, who had coached freshmen for four seasons and was promoted to varsity for 2010. Aceves told the paper that one coach’s contract was not renewed “because of a personnel issue.” She did confirm that an incident took place, but didn’t expand, other than to say the majority of the football team “had some sort of involvement whether as a witness or participant.”

Aceves also said the coaches and team will face disciplinary action, although it will not forfeit any games.

Ancich, with a 347-131-4 career record, is California’s second-winningest coach behind Bob Ladouceur (356-25-3) of De La Salle (Concord). Ancich had been No. 1 prior to the 2009 season.

Read the full article

By Hank Nuwer

Hank Nuwer is the Indiana-based author of Broken Pledges: The Deadly Rite of Hazing, High School Hazing, Wrongs of Passage and The Hazing Reader. He has written articles or columns on hazing for the Sunday Times of India, Toronto Globe & Mail, Harper's Magazine, Orlando Sentinel, The Chronicle of Higher Education and the New York Times Sunday Magazine. His new book is Hazing: Destroying Young Lives from Indiana University Press.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.